Monday, 21 March 2011

Driving in the UK

Okay, so I was terribly scared to drive in the UK. And who wouldn't be? The streets here are more or less one lane. There is often parking on both sides of the road so if there is another car coming, one of you has to get off the road as much as you can and let the other car pass. I will say that people in this country are very courteous when it comes to driving. If you need to get in another lane, or anything like that, they will just wave you on and let you in. Drivers are not always like that in the states. Another thing that has been nice is our tiny car (1.1 liter). It has really helped us with parking and commuting with great gas mileage, 35-45 miles per gal. At first it was hard getting used to driving on the opposite side of the road, as was shifting with my left hand. Now, it's no problem at all. When we get back to the states I do hope that its not a hard transition.

The roads here are also very windy so its easy to get car sick. I have a hard time riding in the back seat or in the back of the bus so I try to get as close to the front as I can. Because of this I do the majority of the driving, which is fine with Irvin because he doesn't really like driving the manual. Also, its hard to find a road that is a clear shot. Most of the roads are the round about way to get anywhere. They also don't work on a grid system so it very handy that we have a GPS. Irvin's sister and her husband were kind enough to give us theirs. Such a blessing!

Oh, and one more thing, I can't imagine being a truck driver in this country. There is hardly room for them in the little towns. And they arent' called semi drivers, they are called lorries. Weird!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! Why are you guys living in England??? Keep posting... :)

    ReplyDelete